If any of you live in California, Southern California specifically you know how crazy the weather can get when it rains. Really, when it rains here, it pours, but mostly for a day, two at the most. Not five straight!!! So this week, I did what any professional would do when the weather chooses not to cooperate. Bundle up, cover up, pack my water resistant gear and drive out to Malibu to shoot Scott May, "Scottie" the muralist of the group. I guess the best way to some up the shoot is simply to use Scottie's words... "You're quite a trooper." The funny thing is that while it was cold and damp, and pretty much every part of my body was soaked to the bone except my water resistant boots, I never really felt the rain or cold wind until the shoot was over and I was changing into dry clothes. There is something about when I shoot that embraces my entire being and takes me to a level of focus that I believe only another artist could understand. And I define an artist as someone who creates. A painter who has created a masterful work of art that exudes emotion, a writer who has sat down and composed a piece that engages the reader, a basketball player who finds or creates a shot, a doctor, a lawyer, musician, chef, you get my point. When you fall or break through that invisible barrier... nothing matters but the moment of creation. The love for the craft, the subject, the concept, the idea.
Okay. Let me stop. and Breath. You've all hit that stride, you've all been in that zone. I just feel lucky that I come across it often enough that at times it continues into other parts of my every day life. Like cooking enchiladas for friends or improving an already flawless dessert through collaboration, fruit and a little bit of whip cream. Enjoy the pics. Thanks Both Scotts. Yes, I did a back to back shoot with two guys name Scott. I know there's a joke there. The second is actually a former professional Basketball player.
Next Week... Well. That's next week.




©2010 Mark Paul Photography All rights reserved
No comments:
Post a Comment